Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Reading, reading, reading

It's still an odd feeling. Picking up a book about anxiety and depression...for my FIVE year old. Something about that just doesn't seem right.

But I feel like I need to get my hands on anything that will help Alex. And the first book I read was completely useless. Basically the book attributed childhood anxiety to crappy parenting. It listed all the things that could lead to a child experiencing anxiety and depression. Lack of maternal bonding. Physical or emotional abuse. Divorce or violence in the home. Alcoholism. Etc. And I get that. It makes sense that a child living in any of those situations might be anxious.

But what about my daughter? Who has a life so far from any of that. A little girl who has been loved a doted upon since birth. A healthy and beautiful child. Someone who essentially wants for nothing. How do you explain that? And more importantly, how can we help her?

So I found two other books at Borders today. I'll let you know if they are any better.

1 comment:

  1. Sue,
    Through my years of being a foster parent and adoptive parent of older children I have found that genetics plays a vital role in our children. Our best parenting skills can alter but not control our childrens outcome. Seek a child psychologist if you have not already done so. Also for the constipation have all medical reasons such as a partial blockage been ruled out? Does Alex seem more constipated when at home or out in public? Some children are afraid of public restrooms and will hold it until they become impacked. I have also had some children who are afraid of being flushed down the toilet and will control their bowels for extended lengths of time. It is good that you are sharing your concerns with others. We all encounter parenting difficulties whether with birth or adopted children. We are all here to help each other.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete