Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A Diagnosis

Over the last week, we've had three lengthy visits with the pediatric psychologist.  We loved him immediately and he truly seems to "get" Alex.  She too had an hour long session with him on Friday.  They both seemed to get a lot out of the session.

So today was our day to meet with him and go over his findings.  I had no expectations really.  I am not sure how all this is supposed to go.  I was half thinking he would be dismissive and we'd be back to square one.

That was not the case.

He didn't hesitate in the least in giving her an official diagnosis of Anxiety and Obsessive Compulsive.  The anxiety, we expected.  The OCD, not so much.  But in the end, it made PERFECT sense.

Walking out of the hospital it all hit me and I started to get shaky.  My SIX year old has anxiety.  It was a mixed bag.  For one moment I was thrilled that someone validated our concerns.  Then it hit me again, my baby has a potentially serious illness.  One she will likely struggle with for the rest of her life.

Shawn asked about it being something she would outgrow.  But Dr Yeager was honest and said that neither were something you ever really outgrow.  It will all be about management.

So.  I am not really sure how to feel.  I am both nervous and excited about this coming year.  So much of Alex's troubles were compounded by school.   So we are very anxious to see how this year plays out.

I will give a general overview of how she has done this summer (in another post).  But right now, I am just too tired.

'Night.

3 comments:

  1. I can imagine that this is a ton to take in right now. But I am so glad for you to have a diagnosis. It sounds like you, along with this doc, will work together to help make her life manageable and figure out what works best for her. I will continue to keep you all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, I am so, so glad that you've found a doctor who "gets" Alex and can help her with managing her issues. I know exactly what you mean about it being a relief and a new sort of grief to *finally* have a diagnosis. I was the same way when we finally heard that Em has SPD.

    For Em, it *is* all about the managing and teaching her how to recognize what's going on in her mind and body so that she can eventually gain better control of herself and what's going on so that when she is feeling "out of whack" (as we've called it with her) she knows what she can do to get herself better regulated. Hopefully this doctor will be able to help Alex (and you guys) by equipping her with the tools she needs to manage the anxiety and OCD the same way we've found professionals who have helped Em with tools for managing her SPD.

    Also, if you wouldn't mind sharing the doctor's name and info, we have friends who are struggling with their daughter right now (well they have been for a few years) and they've been to two different ped psych professionals and neither one has been helpful. Being able to pass along this doctor's name would be great!

    Good luck with the start of school... I'll keep you guys in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue - I am sure you are feeling a mix of emotions right now. What a relief to find a doc you all really like and was able to put a name to what Alex is struggling with. But I also can imagine the worry you have about Alex having to deal with this forever. Still, I am hopeful that you and Alex will be able to learn ways to cope and manage and she will have a happy happy life ahead of her! Thank you for sharing her story and please keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete